MICR 464: Medical Microbiology and Immunology
20 points - Semester 1
This paper will cover immune responses to pathogen infection, and what happens when the immune response goes wrong. It will encompass how we can harness the power of the immune response for treatment and prevention of disease, and also novel technologies to study immune responses to microbes – some established in the clinic and others that are still being developed.
Tutorial course overview
MICR 464 is a tutorial-based paper. The paper consists of 5 modules, each module comprises of 2 tutorials. Modules will be taught with a variety of methods but always involve at least two staff members to stimulate discussion and debate.
Students will be expected to read research papers on a variety of medical microbiology and immunology topics and be prepared to discuss these in the tutorials.
Module 1 - March 6 and March 13:
Introduction to Postgraduate Immunology - History, Techniques and Analysis (Roslyn Kemp, Josie Athens and Jo Kirman)
Module 2 - March 20 and March 27:
Modelling in Immunology - Network Analysis (Roslyn Kemp and Josie Athens)
Module 3 - April 10 and April 17:
Tolerance and the Thymus (Alex McLellan and Jo Kirman)
Module 4 - May 1 and May 8:
Disease or Protective Immunity? The immune conundrum (Frank Griffin and Rory O'Brien)
Module 5 - May 15 and May 22:
Obeisty, Inflammation and Type 2 Diabetes (Roslyn Kemp and Chris Booker)
- A 30-minute oral exam (25%)
- A 3-hour final exam (75%)
- Dr Roslyn Kemp (Course convenor; Microbiology and Immunology) »
- Dr Chris Booker (Edgar National Centre for Diabetes Research) »
- Dr Josie Athens (Preventive and Social Medicine) »
- Professor Frank Griffin (Microbiology and Immunology) »
- Dr Jo Kirman (Microbiology and Immunology)
- Associate Professor Alex McLellan (Microbiology and Immunology) »
- Dr Rory O’Brien (Disease Research Laboratory, Microbiology and Immunology) »
For further information on this paper, please contact Dr Roslyn Kemp (479-7708, firstname.lastname@example.org)
To find out information on the fees and other information on this paper, click here.